About the Book
Alicia Eaton’s Fix Your Life with NLP offers a very concise yet simple explanation of the concepts and techniques used in Neuro-Linguistic Programming (NLP). Marketed as a first aid kit for the mind, this book has real-life scenarios of how you can use NLP techniques in a practical way to help overcome life challenges.
Trained by Richard Bandler (co-creator of NLP) and also having worked with other greats in the field of NLP such as Paul McKenna and Michael Neill; Eaton is a qualified Clinical Hypnotherapist and Licensed Master Practitioner of NLP. Alicia Eaton has practiced and helped clients from all backgrounds through the use of NLP tools for more than a decade.
As a Licensed Master Practitioner of NLP myself, I found this book to have all the details that were taught in both the Licensed Practitioner and Masters Practitioner course. This book should be made a recommended read for those who took the course as a reference on how to use NLP techniques effectively and for the right situations.
While I’ve outlined the summary of my learnings from the book, the golden nugget is really the exercises that Eaton has outlined in each chapter as well as a concise list of NLP techniques that can be used for various situations to help us better manage our thoughts and create a positive outcome.
This book will not go back on my bookshelf. It will be on my work table, definitely within reach, as my go-to reference on NLP techniques and how to use them effectively.
Our brain “downloads” unwanted patterns of behaviours just like how computers download viruses. If we service our computers to make it work efficiently, we should also do the same for our brain.
NLP is about understanding how our mind works, absorbs and processes information and how this affects our actions. NLP techniques can help us reprogram our mind and turn it into successful patterns of behaviour.
Just as you’d download an app for your phone or your computer, it really is now possible to download an “app” for your mind.”
There are three sections to this book:
- The first section features insights on how the mind works; how information is absorbed and processed into thoughts or behaviors.
- In the second section, Eaton focuses on five common problem areas and shares NLP techniques on how to overcome them.
- The third is basically a list of NLP techniques or “Apps for the Mind” that one can refer to easily and practice as and when needed.
Understanding Our Mind
Our nervous system receives millions of information per second about what is happening around us. We filter and condense this information to make it more manageable by using deletions, distortions, and generalization.
We download information we receive through our five senses; visual, hearing, touch, smell, and taste. These senses are known as modalities. For each of these sensory modalities, there are finer distinctions or qualities known as submodalities.
Gaining Control of Our Mind
It is possible for us to gain control over the way we receive and absorb information by changing our submodalities. This will change our internal representation (or pictures) that can affect the way we feel – or what we call state.
We also need to be mindful of the language we use. Our words will create a picture in our mind and our body will automatically spring into action and turn it into a reality. Give our mind positive instructions to follow that will create positive pictures to achieve good results.
Always focus on what you want to happen, rather than on what you don’t”
Stretch Your Mind
What we see depends mainly on what we look for”Sir John Lubbock
The more we pay attention, the greater the ability to discriminate the finer details we gather in our mind. Some methods to exercise stretching our mind includes:
- Learning to see things from a different perspective based on the concept that each individual has their own “map of the world” built based on their unique background, culture, and experiences.
- Use the “reframing” technique to view life events differently and put ourselves in a resourceful state that can help to solve problems.
- Refining communication skills to build rapport.
- Modeling successful behavior to achieve excellence.
- the use of Anchoring, enabling us to change our feelings from an undesired state to a desired one.
In order to achieve success one also has to correct their beliefs, set clear outcomes using The Well-Informed Outcomes Model, a list of questions to help provide clarity on the goals you want to achieve and you also need to be in the right state.
The next couple of chapters covers the following common challenges and each chapter outlines techniques that could help overcome each problem:
- Fix Your Habit and Motivation
- Fix Your Weight
- Fix Your confidence
- Fix Your Fears and Phobias
- Fix Your Health and Well-being
It’s best to refer to the specific chapters on the various techniques outlined to overcome each of the challenges.
List of Apps
The last section of the book is a list of 30 different “apps” that can be used to help overcome specific problems. This is also a valuable section in the book aside from the exercises outlined in earlier chapters.
- Pick one problem you want to overcome.
- Refer to the right techniques outlined in the book that can help you overcome the problem.
- Test the techniques and see if it works and when you find a technique that works, continue to use it until you see the change you want to achieve.